Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Just a Suggestion

Every month my mom picks up the Journey magazine for me from her church. I love that she does this for me. It is nothing big, but it is just so thoughtful on her part. I look so forward to the new magazine every month. There were several articles that really got me last month. In one of the articles the book Shattered Dreams by Larry Crabb was referenced. So, I thought that I would check the book out.

I read an excerpt of the book online and really liked what I was reading. I picked it up from the bookstore today. I have only read one chapter, but I am anxious to crawl into bed tonight and read even more. I have already been challenged in the first chapter as the author shares why he chose to write the book. The book is based on the story of Naomi out of the book of Ruth. I am excited to see how Crabb will explore how God used Naomi's broken dreams to bring about a deeper, purer joy.

I chose to read this book now because I feel like God has blessed me so much recently. Not that my life is all that different, I just feel God changing my heart and shaping my desires to look more like His. Yes, there are still unfilled dreams/desires that I am waiting for God to work out, but He has really brought me to a place of rest and contentment. I feel like now is the best time to accept my "shattered dreams" and truly reflect on all that God is doing in my life.

So, when you get the time, pick up Journey Magazine for quick, daily devotionals and Shattered Dreams for a challenging read.

No comments: