Monday, August 11, 2008

All About the Little Things

Today was just one of those days where I just needed to go to Pickens, hang out with Mom, Dad and Tanner and just chill. There is something very safe and tranquil about being in the house that you grew up in with the people who love you most. My soul just needed the little things today.

As I was walking this evening I was reminded of how much the little things matter. I was thinking about a conversation that I had with a good friend not too long ago. Her belief that God would heal her little boy of cancer convicted me of how little I trust and believe God. I was sharing that with her and she said...you know, Karis, you trust God every night that when you go to bed you will wake up. You trust that the sun will rise and that your life will go on. In the grand scheme of things....those are huge. If you didn't wake up you would no longer be here and if the sun did not rise, we would cease to exist. She went on to say...if I can trust God for my next breath and believe that tomorrow will happen, then surely I can believe that my son will be ok. (And her son is completely cancer free and a living miracle and example of God's faithfulness!) I have thought about that a lot and tonight, on my walk, I thought about her words again. So, I began to think through all of the things that I have and how faithful God is to provide in EVERY area of my life. See, this is kind of a big deal to me because I so easily fall into Satan's trap of believing that if God has not answered me in just ONE area of my life, then God is not worthy of my trust. I can be such an idiot...and I am so grateful that God can handle it! I am also very thankful that God continues to teach me these things about myself.

God just shows up all the time...in the little things. He met me right where I was in Pickens, SC. I encourage you to take time to enjoy the little things because eventually we will all learn that they are really what life is all about!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didnt know he was cancer free!!! How awesome God is!

I understand your difficulty in trust and you know that. But it is so true that we do trust Him that He will give up our next breath, wake us up in the morning, and do the things we dont even think about. But that is us trusting him. I needed that. Trust is something I am being tested on tremendously as Carl is gone for the next three weeks and I am so thankful for your post and for your straightening out the other day! I love you!