Thursday, August 14, 2008

Just Call Me Phoebe

You know when you have a group of really good girlfriends and you have all been friends for a really long time, sooner or later you start to identify with characters on televsion? Some of the characters are from shows such as The Golden Girls, Friends, Sex and the City.... so on and so on. Well, my friends from college always referred to me as Phoebe from Friends. I don't know if I take kindly to this, but I have to admit, I can be a little cooky like Phoebe and off the wall at times.

Well, this week I feel like I have been living out a Friends episode. If you are not familiar with the show, you will probably be bored by this. Anyway, the episode that I am referring to is the "What If" episode. The gang sits around and speculates on what life would've been like if they had taken different paths 5 years earlier. I can't remember much about the episode other than the fact that Phoebe was projected as a highly successful business woman with heart problems. I never thought that I would identify with her in this area, but this week I did.

Tuesday was my first visit to the cardiologist. I have been experiencing heart palpitations for about 10 months. I believe that all of these flutters and flips are related to stress. I tend to internalize far too many things and when I am especially stressed or hung up on something in particular, my heart goes crazy. After 10 months of having these feelings off and on I decided that it may be smart to explore the cause of these palpitations. So, next Wednesday I will have a stress test and echocardiogram done. Yes, this 27 year old will be hooked up to a 12-lead EKG on the treadmill. I am not too concerned and will be glad to have solid evidence that nothing is wrong with me...well, nothing is wrong with my heart at least!

It is amazing what stress can do to your body.

1 comment:

Jo Ellen said...

Ah, stress. It caused me to get shingles when I was 18 and in my freshman year of college. Lovely.

I think I am a mix of Rose and Monica. (Never seen Sex and the City.)